The Marketing Communications Specialist will support the London marketing communications function – across internal communications, public relations and social media – within a renowned global law firm.
Working under the guidance of the Senior Manager of Marketing Communications, the role will:
- Develop and execute profile-raising plans for practice groups and other functions within the office, across both social and traditional media.
- Help ensure the firm is recognized for its market-leading work by leading on the firm’s London awards process.
- Support internal communications for the office, including taking a lead on the production of a weekly newsletter for the London office as well as other key office vehicles. This position will also closely partner with other practice groups and business support teams to help create communications that enhance and promote their offerings.
The right candidate will have the requisite combination of excellent writing (and general communication) skills, proven experience to proactively generate profile-raising opportunities across both traditional and social media platforms, as well as being a natural team player.
PUBLIC RELATIONS, AWARDS / RANKINGS and SOCIAL MEDIA
- Work to increase the firm’s reputation around key legal and commercial issues that can help support the firm’s business development goals and positioning in the UK and Europe.
- Take responsibility for the profile-raising of specific practice groups in the London office, across both social and traditional media.
- Manage announcements for the practice groups, liaising with partners and local BD colleagues, on deal announcements and lateral hires.
- Proactively identify potential news, topics and commentary opportunities for practice groups.
- Brief the firm’s partners / lawyers in preparation for interviews and provide on-going media training.
- Build strong relationships with journalists in key national, trade and legal media.
- Work with the Senior Manager Marketing Communications to defend the reputation of the firm, helping with issues and crisis management as required.
- Working with the London HR team to support the team with the London social media channels – specifically Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn – by composing engaging and informative content.
- Promote the use of LinkedIn as an effective business development tool, by promoting the use of the Passle platform, to enable lawyers In London to quickly and easily produce insights that can be shared on social media and other channels.
- Maintain the firm’s London media coverage / relationship management tracker, as well as the firm’s London marketing communications calendar.
- Maintain a journalist/contacts database, using the Roxhill Media platform.
- Maintain a database of London awards and rankings and write award and ranking submissions as required.
- Working with the London CD team, support the London directory submissions process.
INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS & ENGAGEMENT
- Support the Senior Manager of Marketing Communications on the creation and delivery of a range of internal communications and engagement activities that help strengthen the office’s culture.
- Draft and edit the firm’s weekly London Bulletin, as well as supporting other London communication channels, such as the office’s regular all-office meetings, both logistically and to ensure strong content.
- Write and edit posts for the InfoNet, the firm’s global intranet.
- Create impactful and crisp communications while maintaining a professional tone and style.
- Determine best channels to deliver messages among different populations.
- Collect and analyze metrics to determine overall effectiveness of communication campaigns and make recommendations that improve outcomes.
- Support the project management of engagement and comms initiatives from start to finish. Track project milestones and deliverables; liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing, timely and concise basis; proactively manage changes in project scope and devise contingency plans.
- Keep marketing communication documents up to date, including annual communication strategy and timeline and office calendar.
- Organize corporate photographs of London office employees / new joiners and liaise with US colleagues to ensure photos are updated onto the firm’s internal platforms and website.
SPECIFIC PREREQUISITES INCLUDE:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Proven experience in media relations – particularly for a law firm or professional services organisation – or journalism.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- An upbeat teammate and driven self-starter, with a positive attitude and excellent work ethic.
- Ability to build relationships with partners, lawyers and other colleagues across Ropes & Gray, as well as journalists and other contacts externally.
- Ability to multi-task and operate with flexibility in a fast-paced environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Sound judgement, strong news sense.
- Knowledge and understanding of current affairs and the business environment.
- Ability to take ideas and turn them into engaging content which drives target audience to take action.
- Ability to analyze information, assess issues, make recommendations and clearly articulate them.
- Ability to absorb information and translate it into persuasive, relevant messaging.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, listen, collaborate and influence others.
- Service-oriented approach: flexible, proactive management of expectations, unflappable in the face of change. Ability to think strategically and systemically (i.e., "connect the dots").
- Organization and project management experience, with proven ability to adapt to changing priorities and produce quality deliverables on time.
- Ability to work independently, have a sense of accountability, as well as work cooperatively in a close team environment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint).
DESIRED ATTRIBUTES INCLUDE:
- Ability to demonstrate a successful track record of leading high impact PR programmes, which create profile-raising opportunities – across traditional media (nationals, trade and legals) and social media.
- Previous experience in using the following platforms: Passle; Lexology; Roxhill Media journalist data base; Signal Media clippings service; Google analytics.
- Previous experience supporting directories, awards, surveys and rankings for a law firm, or professional services organisation.