Practicing law at Ropes & Gray in Asia puts you at the forefront of the legal and business developments shaping the industries that are transforming our world and creating new opportunities daily. Whether you’re starting or furthering your career, you’ll handle exciting, innovative work for an impressive roster of leading global clients. You’ll also hone your professional skills with a training program regularly recognized as the finest in the industry. Just as important, you’ll enjoy the benefits of our renowned collegial and collaborative culture.
Our presence in Asia reflects the firm’s strengths in private capital, litigation, strategic transactions and asset management, and our industry focus on private equity and life sciences. With teams based in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo and Seoul, our lawyers not only represent the cultural diversity of the region, but also offer unique career development opportunities in the fastest growing and most dynamic region in the world, with strong connections to the firm’s global platform.”
Why Choose Us
8 Connaught Place
Central, Hong Kong
T +852 3664 6488
134 Teheran-ro, Gangnam-gu
T +82 2 2141 5900
1601 Nanjing Road West
T +86 21 6157 5200
JP Tower 30F, 2-7-2, Marunouchi
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-7030
T +81 3 6259 3500
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Throughout our Asia offices, we work to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion are reflected in all aspects of firm life, including our recruitment, professional development, mentoring, business development and community outreach initiatives. We’re also deeply committed to ensuring that our team feels empowered to bring their most authentic selves to work, and we sponsor a number of affinity groups to help achieve this aim.
Asia Awards & Rankings
Private Equity Legal Adviser of the Year Mergermarket Japan
Katherine Wang In-House Community “Commended External Counsel of the Year”
China Firm of the Year - Life Sciences
Dealmakers of the Year American Lawyer
For all at Ropes & Gray, pro bono and community work is an integral part of life at the firm. You can be involved from the moment you join, helping a broad range of clients, sometimes as part of an international team and sometimes by helping a small community-based organization. You will use your professional training and wider skills to make a difference in our communities. In 2019, our Asia offices completed more than 3,400 hours of pro bono service. Some of our partnerships and community initiatives include:
- Partnering with international anti-human trafficking NGO Liberty Shared on a wide range of projects looking at issues in the supply chain, mediation and reparation for trafficked workers, the effect of COVID-19 on vulnerable women and children and a multijurisdictional study into the treatment of trafficked and sexually exploited children.
- Working with OUT Leadership, contributing to their CEO Business Briefs, which provide snapshots of the LGBTQ+ legal and cultural landscapes in different countries and are vital resources for enabling business leaders to understand the operational and reputational risks they face when doing business around the world.
- Assisting Hong Kong University’s Centre for Comparative and Public Law in delivering their Street Law program, working with community groups and EmpowerU, a program providing lectures, trainings and workshops to more than 400 migrant domestic workers on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Developing rule of law programming in Sub-Saharan Africa with Lawyers Without Borders. Lawyers of all levels of experience from all offices and practice groups have the opportunity to participate in developing and delivering the programs. Lawyers from Shanghai and Hong Kong have travelled to Kenya and Tanzania to train judges, magistrates, prosecutors and enforcement officers in programs covering anti-human and wildlife trafficking.
- Working with local community charities in Hong Kong such as Helpers for Domestic Workers; Pathfinders, which supports migrant mothers and children; and InspiringHK, which uses sport to promote social mobility, gender equality, social inclusion and a healthy lifestyle.
- Supporting a variety of organizations in our offices’ communities. Our Seoul office managing partner and several office members spent a day volunteering at a vocational training center for the disabled and recently raised funds to support those in the local community struggling with COVID-19. Our Shanghai office supports Heart to Heart, a charity providing corrective heart surgery, collecting donations and sewing teddy bears for a charity sale. In Hong Kong, our office donated 162 backpacks to The Backpack Project.
- Assisting a Nigerian seeking asylum in Japan working the Japan Association for Refugees and local counsel.
Be Part of a Team That is Unmatched
Find your place at Ropes & Gray
At Ropes & Gray, our lawyers and professionals work at the intersection of innovative business developments and complex legal challenges. Explore the careers and opportunities available.