Practicing law at Ropes & Gray puts you at the forefront of the legal and business developments shaping the industries that are transforming our world and creating new opportunities daily. Whether you’re starting or furthering your career, you’ll handle exciting, innovative work for an impressive roster of leading global clients. You’ll also hone your professional skills with a training program regularly recognized as the finest in the industry. Just as important, you’ll enjoy the benefits of our renowned collegial and collaborative culture.
Ropes & Gray succeeds by practicing with purpose. We care—about our clients, about our communities, and about each other. Our people have found a home at Ropes & Gray because we value collaboration, excellence and authenticity. If you are passionate about what you do, and how you do it, we want to meet you.”
Why Choose Us
Number One on the A-List
Ropes & Gray ranked number one on The American Lawyer’s A-List, marking the sixth consecutive year the firm has placed in the top-three. A-List recognition is one of the legal industry’s most coveted honors. Only 20 U.S. firms make the list each year, and earning a spot shows that a firm excels in its commitment to its clients, lawyers and communities.
2024 Summer Program
Participating in our summer program will give you a chance to see firsthand what it’s like to practice law at the highest level, to contribute to actual client matters, and to benefit from bespoke training and mentorship. Whether you join us in Boston, Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Silicon Valley or Washington, D.C., you’ll be exposed to cutting-edge, industry-defining work for the world’s leading businesses and organizations. Ready to join us?
Find a Position – Lawyers
FIND A POSITION – BUSINESS SUPPORT
Why become a program paralegal at Ropes & Gray?
Program paralegals will hone their analytical and project management skills, and enhance their ability to provide support in critical contexts. Furthermore, the firm is committed to supporting paralegals in their professional development through a formal paralegal training program, complementing their on-the-job training working alongside the firm’s attorneys and support staff. Program paralegals can expect a collaborative, fast-paced and challenging environment at Ropes & Gray.
800 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02199-3600
T +1 617 951 7000
191 North Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606
T +1 312 845 1200
10250 Constellation Boulevard
Los Angeles, 90067
T +1 310 975 3300
New York, NY 10036-8704
T +1 212 596 9000
San Francisco, CA 94111-4006
T +1 415 315 6300
East Palo Alto, CA 94303-2284
T +1 650 617 4000
Washington, DC 20006-6807
T +1 202 508 4600
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION
Fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment is one of our most important missions. Welcoming and valuing diversity in all aspects of the firm’s operations is fundamental to our core values of excellence, fairness and integrity. Here are just a few programs and initiatives we have established to support our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion:
Through the work of our diversity, equity & inclusion committee and affinity forums, we are working to build cultural awareness and cultural competence by enhancing programming that focuses on understanding bias, discrimination and racism, and on building allyship.
We have established a Racial Equity & Inclusion Task Force charged with crafting specific, actionable proposals to help identify, describe and dismantle systemic racial bias and inequalities at the firm. These efforts will lay the groundwork for a welcoming, secure and supportive environment for diverse colleagues.
Ropes & Gray has made a sustained commitment to recruiting and developing the best talent and nurturing a vibrant, diverse culture, and we will continue to build on these efforts.”
US Awards & Rankings
THE AMERICAN LAWYER
The American Lawyer
At Ropes & Gray, giving back is embedded in our DNA. We take pro bono work very seriously, and we regularly leverage the legal training and the wider skills of our people to make a difference in our communities. For example, from 2019–2022, Ropes & Gray legal professionals contributed more than 560,000 hours to pro bono work. Some of our local partnerships and initiatives include:
- Joining forces with Food Bank For New York City to fight hunger in New York. The firm has raised the equivalent of more than 772,000 meals for individuals and families in New York as part of annual fundraising campaigns, and our lawyers and support team members have devoted hundreds of pro bono and volunteer hours to the organization.
- Partnering with Cradles to Crayons in Chicago to help the organization provide essential items and supplies to children who are homeless or living in low-income situations.
- Helping more than 1,300 children in need get a good start to the upcoming school year by providing them with new backpacks, clothing and school supplies through the Backpack Project.
- Partnering with educational organizations such as SMART, Citizen Schools and Peninsula Bridge to equip young people with the skills they need to make a lasting impact on their lives and in their communities.
- Participating in charity races to support nonprofit organizations across the globe, including the J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge, the Boston Athletic Association Half Marathon, the Pan-Mass Challenge, the Lawyers Have Heart 10k Race and the 5k Run & Fun Walk.
Ropes & Gray’s pro bono work truly connects the firm. Like our law firm, our pro bono work is global, crossing practices and time zones. A single pro bono project can bring together lawyers from many practice areas and different offices, and include Ropes & Gray alumni and clients.”
With 13 offices in cities around the globe, we are mindful of our environmental footprint. As the firm continues to grow, we look for ways to apply sustainable practices and promote green initiatives.
- We recycle all paper, aluminum, plastic and glass where available—and several offices participate in composting.
- Sophisticated HVAC controls, motion sensor light switches and efficient lighting keep energy usage down, while specially designed faucets minimize water consumption.
- We purchase Energy Star-rated computers and office equipment, and printers are configured to print double-sided by default.
- Ten of our 13 offices are in areas that are easily served by public transportation.
- 83 percent of our real estate portfolio is powered by 100 percent renewable electricity.
The following Ropes & Gray offices have received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design for Existing Buildings certification from the U.S. Green Building Council:
- Chicago (the world’s first LEED Core & Shell Gold Certified building)
- Boston (Gold Certified floors)
- New York (Gold Certified building)
- Silicon Valley (Gold Certified building)
- Washington, D.C. (Gold Certified floors)
- San Francisco (Silver Certified floors)
- Los Angeles (Gold Certified building)
Ropes & Gray Alumni
Our valued alumni are considered extended members of the Ropes & Gray community. We are grateful for their contributions over the years, and for their continuing friendship. Wherever your path takes you, our alumni network can be a resource to help support your career goals. Our door is always open.
Be Part of a Team That is Unmatched
At Ropes & Gray, people work together to reach a common goal. We are about high-functioning, highly engaged global teams and creating something greater than the sum of our parts. Each and every one of us plays a critical role in the success of our clients.
Find your place at Ropes & Gray
At Ropes & Gray, our lawyers and professionals work at the intersection of innovative business developments and complex legal challenges. Explore the careers and opportunities available.